New future owner of an Elek-Trak

New future owner of an Elek-Trak

Postby eccoblackfin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Hello to all! I've recently moved to Westland, MI and found that my simple plug-in push mower is definitely not going to be useful for me for the acre or so that I have to maintain now. I'm not a fan of gas mowers..too noisy, too much maintenance, and just not nearly as cool as electric, so I'm looking for an Elek-Trak or similar.
I wouldn't mind doing some work on one, like if I need to make a new wiring harness or throwing a fresh coat of paint on one(although I don't have a welder so metalwork capability is extremely limited), but since I just dumped my life savings into this house, I need something inexpensive. I'll also need a mower attachment(and would be looking for the tiller/plow/snowblower/everything else in the future).
I'm also interested in upgrading the system to some advanced lead acid or even lithium batteries; I work in the battery industry and think that'd be a fine thing to upgrade.
eccoblackfin

Re: New future owner of an Elek-Trak

Postby roberttroll » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:00 am

Welcome - If you are looking to cast a wide net i would recommend joining the tufts elec-trak list.

http://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/mailman/listinfo/elec-trak

As far as battery upgrades i dont think we have seen any lithium batteries yet. A few people have installed surplus military nicads, but those seems to be impossible to find. Keep us posted!
roberttroll

Postby eccoblackfin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:41 pm

That looks like a very valuable resource, thank you!

As for battery upgrades, I'm sure we could do all sorts of things..ultracapacitors, regenerative braking, maybe a new Briggs and Straton hybrid system even :)
eccoblackfin

Postby Bushman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:27 am

I have a small frame mower that is available. It may need some tires and the electrical system checked over, but is the E8M Heavy Duty model with extra battery cables to run 3 more 12V batteries under the seat. They have a 36" mid-mount deck with 2 18" blades. I also have a small push blade (38" wide) to go with it.
Bushman

Postby tchapin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:33 am

I have a e12s with good mower deck and snowblower if you are still interested in an elec-trak.
tchapin

Postby mfrerking » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Jerry Rhodes in Paulding, OH has an E-12 w/deck and tiller for sale.

Contact him at: Jerry38@windstream.net
mfrerking

Postby hticheno » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Did you find the Elec Trak you were looking for? I just bid on eBay on a pair with full attachments not far from you in Paw Paw. It now looks like I will not be able to pick them up as soon as the seller needs them to go. I could hand off the deal to someone in that area. Let me know.

Thanks

Harold
hticheno

Return to Wanted To Buy