Controllers WIKI

Controller conversions

Controllers WIKI

Postby roberttroll » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:54 pm

When i first got my ET, one of the first things that i started researching was installing a modern controller. Specific installation information was scattered about the ether, but nothing was centralized. This is what i found.

The ET E12/E15/E20 motors are Stabilized Shunt Wound Motors. The technical definition is:

Stabilized Shunt-Wound Motor: A stabilized shunt-wound motor is a direct-current motor in which the shunt field circuit is connected either in parallel with the armature circuit or to a separate source of excitation voltage and which also has a light series winding added to prevent a rise in speed or to obtain a slight reduction in speed with increase in load.

Think about that last part again in relation to a gasoline powered tractor. A ICE motor has a governor which is going to keep the motor going at a constant speed. GE chose a motor that operates much in the same way as a conventional tractor engine. The stabilized shunt wound motor is going to do what it can to maintain RPM just like ICE motor it replaces.

It has some unique properties that one must take into consideration when either designing, or installing a modern controller.

1 - The armature must never receive power until the field is powered up.
2 - The field should not see more then 2-4a.
3 - As the motor changes direction, a voltage spike will occur as the field collapses.
4 - When going downhill, the motor will act as a generator.

There are four basic controllers that have been made to work in these machines.

Curtis 1204/1205

The Curtis 1204/1205 is the granddaddy of golf cart controllers. It is designed to be used with either a series wound, or a permanent magnet motor. The controller does not know that the field exists. It only knows about the armature. This controller works with the ET motor as long as you can design a way to deal with the field. Because it can also be used for controlling a PM motor, it can tolerate regen. It also has some built in programming which can be used to our advantage to reduce wiring. Field weakening, if desired, must be done via a separate CKT.

It does not do regenerative braking.

The Curtis is pricey new, but rebuilt units can be found very economical prices.

Alltrax DCX300 ET

The Alltrax company built their DCX line as a more economical and durable replacement for the Curtis. It is encased in epoxy. Because of this it cannot be rebuilt, but has a reputation in the golf cart and ET community for reliability.

A special model of the DCX300 was built by Alltrax to meet the unique requirements of the ET motor. That model is sold by Jim Coate and Harold Zimmerman, and includes conversion plans.

Unlike the Curtis It has a hookup for the field, and is programmed to properly handle it. You can natively do field weakening with this controller. Although you have to sacrifice full torque to do so as the field is set to turn on at a specific throttle position.

It does not do regenerative braking.

4QD

The 4QD is a permanent magnet controller. It does not know about the field, so one must design a corresponding way to deal with it much like with the Curtis.

The 4QD will do regenerative braking.

METI - GE Controller

The folks behind the Modern Electric Tractor initiative used a specially programmed GE controller that came from FSIP is Reading PA. It had native handling for the field, and while it did not have regeneration, it did have a field pulse mode which would hold the tractor still on a hill.
roberttroll

Re: Controllers WIKI

Postby roberttroll » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:58 pm

Just to let everyone know, the above message is intended to be a starting point on a wiki for controllers.

Please chime in with what is right/wrong/missing and i will change it.

I am very familiar with the Curtis 1204 and will be posting my build instructions shortly. I am also somewhat familiar with the Alltrax design and know the differences between the two.

I know close to nothing about the 4QD, and about the same about the GE METI controller. But i know we do have members on this board who can fill in those blanks.
roberttroll

Postby Housewiz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:46 pm

I believe Harold Zimmerman also sells the Alltrax Controller - can't leave him out of the mix.

Thanks,

Steve
www.watts-up-elec-traks.com

Home of the three splurges: Burly, Scary, and Dough-no-mo
Housewiz

Postby Jeff Antonucci » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:39 am

Yes - I purchased my last Alltrax from Harold. Also keep in mind Alltrax stands behind their product. They shipped me a new one free of charge when my 7yr old one (way out of warranty) went bad.
Jeff Antonucci

Postby roberttroll » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:57 am

Jeff Antonucci wrote:Yes - I purchased my last Alltrax from Harold. Also keep in mind Alltrax stands behind their product. They shipped me a new one free of charge when my 7yr old one (way out of warranty) went bad.

I had no idea they BOTH sold the same controller. Edited WIKI.
roberttroll

Postby Zoopieboy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:14 pm

Jeff- Do you have any pictures, drawings, parts list etc. from your Alltrax installation? I am currently installing one on my E15.

thanks in advance-
cam
Zoopieboy

Postby Jerry38 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:33 am

Robert, very good writeup, I have done about 10 conv using the Curtis 1204/1205 and the Curtis PB-6 and FP-6
and all have worked fine. I've done E-12/12s/14/15/16 and E20, I have also used the GE 262E2 (METI) on a E15 & E20.
The biggest problem I ran into including the safety sys the swts were iffy at best, again thanks for the writeup

Jerry NWOhio
ETC... :D
Jerry38

Postby ahirbe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:24 pm

I am looking to re wire may E8M with a new controller, does anyone have any advice on which controller would work better for this mower?
ahirbe

Postby Furd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:22 am

I'm using a Kelly KDS36200E,200A,24V-36V Mini Brushed Controller on my conversion project. It is conservatively rated at 120 amperes continuously with surges to 200 amperes. I have a 2 HP. permanent magnet motor using 70 amperes at 24 volts. http://kellycontroller.com/kds36200e200a24v-36v-mini-brushed-controller-p-276.html

Furd

Postby ahirbe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Does anyone have a plain line drawing or instructions in layman's terms as to how to wire the various components in the E8M? I am very new to electrical systems like this and have no where to start except with a clean slate of a mower.
ahirbe

Return to Controller Conversions + WIKI